Transporting your bike from A to B may be an issue if you don’t know the resalable cost to pay. How much will it cost to transport a bike? It is contingent on several variables like distance, weight, method of transportation, packing, and transportation time, among others.
It costs approximately $50-$150 to send bikes with a courier service such as FedEx and $80-$210 with USPS 40-80 dollars by train, up to $60 via a bike shipping service, and up to $400 via plane.
In the end, the price of riding a bicycle depends on the mode you select, the speed at which you’d like it delivered, and the location. Be aware that you’ll be paying more for insurance if you opt for this option. We will break it down to help select an easy and affordable solution for you.
How Much Does It Cost To Ship A Bike?
The biggest concern for most bike buyers is the cost of transportation. The cost of shipping your bike will depend on the location you’re sending your bike to and the shipping company you select. Some shipping companies require that you load your bicycle yourself. Shipping costs may be lower for shorter distances.
You can purchase bikes and shipping items such as packaging tape and bubble wrap from the shipping firm that you’re using to transport your bicycle. When you’re considering using a bicycle box to transport your bike, pick one that is compatible with the bike you’re shipping.
They are available in a variety of sizes. The cost of bike boxes isn’t too high and can be found in numerous online stores. You may want something more durable, such as a soft bag, wooden crate, or a bicycle travel case.
Travel cases for bikes ensure that your bike is protected the best. They’re costly; however, if you plan to often travel on your bike, it could be worth the investment.
|Shipping Method||Estimated Shipping Cost|
|Plane||Up to $400|
|ShipBikes/BikeFlights||Starting at $ 60|
How to Pack A Bike To Ship
It is important to ensure you’re using a specific box specifically for bikes, not just a standard box, no matter what method you pick. There are several methods to find an excellent cycling box.
- You can get one delivered to you by a service company such as BikeFlights. They have a lot of experience with shipping bikes. They will be certain that you receive the right container to fit your bicycle. This is an element of the service they provide.
- Purchase an item. You can purchase an online box from Amazon or any other source. It’s not expensive, perhaps about $10, plus shipping.
- Find one at a nearby bike store. The bikes that bicycle shops sell are in bicycle boxes, which is ideal for shipping bicycles. If you’re in a tight spot with your local bike shop, you might be able to find a bike box. They usually have a few in stock to ship.
- The next step is disassembling the bike. The disassembly process is universal, regardless of whether you’re shipping a tri bike tri-bike, gravel bike, mountain bike, or anything. There is no need to take apart the whole thing to make sure it can fit inside the box. It usually requires removing the front part of the bike, taking the seat off, and securing any other parts that could move during transport. However, you will need different bike tools.
If you can hear metal-on-metal while moving the box around, it is important to lift it and examine what could be the metal rubbing. The bike should be completely cushioned, not rubbing on other metals, and not moving within the box.
It is possible to accomplish this yourself if you have the equipment and know-how to use bikes. It is also possible to bring it to a bicycle store and request them to handle it.
A quick call to the local bicycle shop revealed that they would take apart and then professionally pack a bike inside a used bike shipping box for just $50. After that, they deal with BikeFlights to take the bike to its destination and then pass the cost on to you without charge.
What happens when my bike Arrives At My Destination?
Many bikers prefer having their bikes shipped to a bike shop in their location rather than an address in private or at the hotel.
It is safer to shop at bike shops than letting your bike hang outside on someone’s front lawn or in a hotel’s storage area. A bike thief is frequent.
Apart from safety, another benefit of local bike shops is that they can help you reassemble your bike.
This is an additional cost; however, it’s a good cost for this convenience. You might want to talk before visiting the bike shop to inform them that they will be arriving.
When you arrive at the destination, you’ll have your bike waiting for you. If there’s no local bike shop within the location, you’re heading to make sure you inform the hotel or the locals of the location where your bike will be.
You can ask them to call or text you when your bike is delivered. If your bike was shipped to the address of a private person or hotel, it is your responsibility to repair your bicycle.
Make sure you pack your bike’s accessories in your bicycle case or the shipping box along with your bike. Shipping services will not compensate for any damage to your bicycle if it’s not properly packed.
But… Bicycle shipping companies, such as BiikeFlights, can provide good insurance in case your bike is damaged in the process of shipping.
Whatever company you pick, make sure you check their policies regarding insurance and shell out the cash to get the most comprehensive protection for your bicycle. This assures you you’ll be sure that the bike reaches you without incident.
How to Transfer your Bike from a Bike Store?
Go to the local bike shop to find out if they have bikes. It’s a stress-free solution. Bring your bike to the bike shop. They will take apart your bike, wrap it in, and then box it up for shipping for a small fee.
You can ask them to send it to a specific address in the city or even to a bicycle shop in your location.
This is convenient because you can let the bike shop put your bicycle for you. Once you’re ready to head back home, you can repeat the process reverse. Many bikers favor this method of transporting their bikes, but it can cost more.
How to Take Your Bike On A Plane?
It is possible to bring your bike when you travel. The majority of airlines will allow you to inspect your bicycle. We’ve written an extensive guide about riding your bicycle on a plane. Click here to go through it!
Each airline has its particular size requirements. You can choose to use a cardboard box, hard bike case, or soft bag.
They’ll store your bike inside your cargo space, which is why it’s crucial to select an appropriate box that shields your bike from being damaged.
Here’s the price you’ll pay when you take your bike, based on the airline.
- The Alaskan state: $30 to take your bicycle with you in the checked baggage. They’ll store your bike in the cargo area.
- United Price for the bike backed by the airline’s requirements is $150.
- American Airlines: Standard checked bags for up to 50 lbs are $150.
- British Airlines: You can carry your bike as a part of the luggage items you check. Contact the airline’s contact center 72 hours before travel to inform them that you’re taking your bike along with you. You should inform them what type of size container the bike is stored in and its weight. Due to the limited space available on airplanes, it’s more likely to be able to put your bike on the plane if you inform the airline before departure.
- KLM The airline has a weight and size requirement. It is necessary to contact them ahead of time to confirm you’re taking your bicycle. They will only allow three bikes per plane, so making the call is essential. The cost ranges from $100-$150.
It is a good idea to look into the requirements of your airline. The policies of airlines change constantly. Even when you traveled just a few years ago using your bike, you might want to consider getting in touch with your airline.
Many bikers have stories about arriving at the airport, only to discover that they did not meet all regulations and could not transport their bikes.
Here are some of the questions you can ask the airline:
- What kind of bike bag will this airline accept? Do they have any bags for bikes they don’t accept?
- What is the price of bringing a bicycle?
- Where can your bike be kept?
- What’s the cost if it’s not weight-bearing?
- Do you require a call before your flight’s date?
- What do they require in terms of weight?
- What are the requirements for dimension?
- Does your bike end up on the carousel of luggage for pickup? (Many bikes get damaged when they go by the luggage carousel due to being stuck) Are there other ways to get it picked up?
- Do you require specific insurance for your bicycle?
Make sure that the bag is in line with your airline’s weight restrictions. Otherwise, they’ll charge an extra amount for an overweight bag.
Sometimes, they will not allow bags that are overweight on the plane. These are pros and pros and of various bike bags for travel.
Soft Bike Bag
They could take your bike and send it down the conveyor belt to the plane. Sometimes, they can fall off. Bags cost more than cardboard boxes. You have to disassemble your bike.
Hard Bike Case
The case is very heavy, and your airline might be charged extra in addition to the burden. The cases made of hard plastic can be expensive; however, if you often travel on the bike, it may be worth it.
How to Take Your Bike on a Train?
Many local commuter trains, and distance trains, permit bicycles. Trains that commute require you to arrive early and travel through areas specifically designed that are specifically designed for bicycles.
They let you ride on the train riding your bicycle for as long as you are in the same place. Trains for commuters often restrict the number of bikes allowed per vehicle.
For example, the Chicago Transit Authority allows just two bikes per car. Amtrak provides train-side checking, where bikes are checked and stored in baggage cars and carry-ons bike racks. Bicycle racks or in areas within the coach for passengers. Most Amtrak costs as low as $20 to transport your bike. You can purchase your bike at the time you purchase your ticket.
Bikeflights.com – Special Bicycle Delivery Service
BikeFlights is a bicycle shipping service affiliated with bike shops around the world. If you’d like to delegate the packing task to experts, You can visit the BikeFlights website to find the list of bike shops they partner with. They will place your bike into a brand new or used bike case and transport it to wherever you want to take it. If it’s sent to a different bike shop affiliated with it, then they’ll take it out and put your bike together when you arrive at your location. The shipping cost is around $60, including the box and disassembly.
What Is The Cheapest Way To Ship A Bike?
Generally, here are some tips you can use to ship your bike cheaply:
Use a smaller shipping container.
Instead of going for oversize bicycle shipping containers, go for smaller ones. Remember, you’ll be taking the bike apart, and as long as the frame and wheels can fit in the container, everything else will. The most important thing is to remove the front wheel. This will greatly reduce the size of the
Take the bike on the plane.
Some airlines allow you to bring a bike on board as luggage as long as you meet their specifications. So, if your bike is not heavier than 50 pounds, check with the airline to see if you can check it.
Settle for basic shipping
Most bike shipping services have the basic shipping package, which usually is the slowest but cheapest option. So, settle for basic shipping if you don’t mind waiting for the bike for a few extra days.
Deflate the tires
By deflating the tires, you slightly reduce the wheel size, reducing the shipping cost.
Can I pack my bike?
If you’re going to pack your own bike, take the time to learn how to do it properly. There’s no shortage of videos on YouTube that teach you how to pack your bike for shipping. Otherwise, it’s well worth the cost to have a professional do the packing for you. When measuring, always round up to the next whole inch.
But we recommend having the bike shipped to a bike shop, so that it can be professional re-assembled while you travel, and be ready for you when you arrive.
Should I get bike shipping insurance?
All shipping companies offer different shipping insurance options. This gives some peace of mind in case of damage or loss. Be sure to read all literature about the details of the insurance.
If you plan to travel around the U.S., shipping from your local bike store may be your best bet. However, there are many great shipping options. Bike shipping companies are the only ones that ship bikes, and they can provide top-quality services at an affordable cost. You’ll need to find the most efficient and secure method to get your bike to where you want it.
If you choose to go this route, make certain to research what your airline or train will require to fly with your bicycle.